Weight Management: A Practitioner's Guide
An increasingly wide range of patients of different age, ethnicity and social background often combined with other clinical conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease or osteoporosis now find themselves battling against obesity and many health professionals become frustrated, feeling ill–equipped to handle each unique case with the one–size–fits–all approach offered by the "eat less, exercise more" mantra. Weight Management: A Practitioner′s Guide explains how effective evidence–based programmes structured in a manner addressing the key components of diet and physical activity integrated with a behavioural approach could offer the solution to the obesity epidemic.
OTHER RELEVANT PUBLICATIONS
1. Hunt P, Pearson D. (2001) Motivating Change. Nursing Standard. Volume16, 2, 45 -52.
2. Pearson D. (2003) Weight Management. Primary Health Care. Volume 13, 10, 43 – 49.
3. Pearson D. (2003) Tackling Obesity in the Community. Journal of Community Nursing. Volume 17, 6, 19 – 22.
4. Pearson D. (2004) Weight Management. Complete Nutrition. Volume 4, 2, 37 – 39.
5. Pearson D. (2004) Obesity – supporting the patient – the value of two-way telephone support. Nutrition Bulletin, British Nutrition Foundation. Volume 29, 2 149-152
6. Pearson D, Allan K. (2004). Managing Obesity in Primary Care. CD Rom produced for The National Obesity Forum. www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk
7. Pearson D. (2005) Obesity in Key Topics in Public Health. Pages 79 – 101. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone.
8. Stewart l, Houghton J, Hughes A, Pearson D, Reilly J. (2005) Dietetic Management of Paediatric Overweight: Development and Description of a Practical and Evidence-Based Behavioural Approach. Journal of American Dietetic Association. Volume 105, 11, 1810 – 1815.
9. Hunt P, Pearson D. (2005) 5 A DAY – the Behavioural Approach. Department of Health. www.5ADAY.nhs.uk
10. Rapport L, Pearson D. (2007) Changing Health Behaviour in Manual of Dietetic Practice. Pages 46 – 58. Blackwell Publishing.
11. Ware LJ, Hurling R, Bataveljic O, Fairley BW, Hurst TL, Murray P, Rennie KL, Tomkins CE, Finn A, Cobain MR, Pearson DA, Foreyt JP. (2008) Rates and Determinants of Uptake and Use of an Internet Physical Activity and Weight Management Program in Office and Manufacturing Sites in England: Cohort Study. J Med Internet Res 2008;10(4):e56
12. Pearson D. (2010) Changing Behaviour in Textbook of Advanced Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition. Chapter 3 Pages 15-20.
13. Pearson D (2009). Helping your patients to manage their weight: A Behavioural Approach. The British Journal of Primary Care Nursing.
14. Pearson D. (2009) Weight Management: A Behavioural Approach. CN Focus Vol1 No 3 September 13-15.